The Brimstone & New River Railroad is a disused railroad from the Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific Railway at New River, Tennessee southeast to Lone Mountain. Chartered as the Brimstone Railroad by the W.M. Ritter Lumber company of Virginia, the logging line followed Brimstone Creek and featured lightweight, unballasted track. The line came to fruition after Ritter purchased the New River Lumber Company. The railroad featured a branch within nearly every hollow, with tracks that ascended the mountains via switchbacks. The Brimstone, from Slick Rock north, was paralleled by the earlier Knoxville and New River Railroad (K&NR). The line operated three shay locomotives.
The Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant (USEC), located in Piketon, Ohio, was part of a United States government program to produce highly enriched uranium to fuel nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons. Two railroad spurs were constructed from both the Chesapeake and Ohio and from Norfolk and Western.
The Chesapeake Western Railway is a railroad that once extended from Stokesville, Virginia in Augusta County eastward to Elkton via Harrisonburg. Despite its early potential as a through route between Cincinnati and Washington D.C., and later as a feeder to the coal mines in West Virginia, the railroad never lived up to its potential.
The Cincinnati and Eastern Railway was a railroad from Idlewild in Norwood, near Cincinnati, to Portsmouth, Ohio. At its western terminus, it connected with the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern (CL&N) and the Pennsylvania Railroad Richmond Division (PRR), and to a Norfolk & Western line at its eastern terminus.
The Cincinnati, Columbus & Hocking Valley Railroad is a defunct railroad that was later purchased by the Ohio Southern, and was a route extending from Sedalia to Kingman via Jeffersonville, Ohio. It was once proposed as a connection between Columbus and Cincinnati generally along what is now the Interstate 71 corridor.
The Cincinnati & Portsmouth Railway Company was incorporated in March 1873, tasked with constructing a railroad from Cincinnati, Ohio eastward to Portsmouth along the Ohio River. It was later renamed to the Cincinnati, Georgetown and Portsmouth Railroad, although the railroad only reached Russellville, east of Georgetown, before running out of funding.
The Cincinnati-owned and financed Cincinnati Southern began operations at King's Mountain, Kentucky, and extended north to Cincinnati and south to Chattanooga, Tennessee. It is part of the Norfolk Southern line today. A modernization project that began in the 1960s has left many tunnels and alignments abandoned.
The College Hill Railroad was a line connecting the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton at Spring Grove Avenue in Cincinnati, Ohio, to the College Hill and Mt. Healthy neighborhoods to the north. An extension to Ross was once planned but never constructed. Due to competition from an adjoining streetcar line, the railroad was electrified and became an interurban, before succumbing to financial troubles in 1938.
The Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad is a defunct railroad that had its beginnings as the Iron Railroad Company, which connected Ironton to the coal and timber reserves in southern Ohio. Through acquisitions and mergers, the DT&I stretched for over 370 miles from Ironton to the automobile manufacturing plants in Michigan.
Over the period of a century, the collection of industrial structures from Cedar Avenue south to Thackeray Avenue along Ashland Road in Cleveland, Ohio have been home to a variety of uses and a variety of businesses. Beginning as a power house for the East Cleveland Railroad in 1888, the plant was reused for the Cleveland Ice Machine Company, Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing and then Thompson Products. Under Thompson, it became part of the Thompson Aircraft Products Company Pump Division, which manufactured pumps and valves for the military and industries in the United States. After Thompson vacated in the mid-1960s, the structures became home to the Virden Manufacturing Company until its abrupt closure in 1979.
Chartered as Ohio's second railroad, the Little Miami connected Cincinnati, Ohio to Xenia and Springfield. It later connected with Columbus. The Little Miami was one of the most profitable railroads in the United States, although its usage and importance declined after World War II. After consolidations and mergers, the Little Miami was dismantled in 1976, and was revived less than a decade later as the longest rail to trail in the United States.
The Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad is a defunct railroad that connected Cincnnnati, Ohio to Parkersburg, West Virginia. Through acquisitions during the 1800s, the M&C commanded over 270 miles of railroad, from Cincinnati to Marietta and south to Portsmouth and Hillsboro. The line was later absorbed into the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern, and some of the route has been dismantled.
Michigan Central Station, located in the Corktown district of Detroit, Michigan, was constructed in mid-1913 for the Michigan Central Railroad at a cost of $15 million. Replacing an earlier passenger rail depot that had burned, the station boasted decent ridership until post-World War II. Attempts were made to sell the station during the 1950s and 1960s due to sharply falling passenger counts, and was nearly closed until Amtrak renovated the station in the 1970s. The last train rolled out in 1988.
The Norfolk & Western, as part of the Ohio Extension from Elkhorn, West Virginia to Coal Grove, Ohio, snaked through the mountainous canyons throughout the rich coalfields. A part of this alignment, from Lenore to Wayne, West Virginia, was abandoned in 1933 when improvements were made to the line along the Big Sandy River.
The Richmond, Nicholasville, Irvine & Beattyville Railroad (RNI&B, Riney-B) was a railroad that existed between Versailles to Irvine, Kentucky. It was acquired by another railroad in 1899 and extended to Beattyville and Airedale. Another acquisition extended the line west to Frankfort, giving a total mileage of around 110 miles.