Middleport’s Park Street School was constructed in the late 19th century, and was closed in the early 1950s. It was used for storage for over five decades before a structural failure caused the building to be demolished.
Middleport’s Park Street School was constructed in the late 19th century 6 and was closed in the early 1950s after being replaced by a new elementary school.1 3 4 It was most recently used by the Village of Middleport for storage of equipment, holiday decorations and items from General Hartinger Park. At one point, the school was used as a dairy.
In 2007, work began on securing financing for an assessment of environmental concerns at the former school, with the hope that funding could be secured for its demolition.5 The Buckeye Hills/Hocking Valley Regional Development District began work on an application for a completion of Phase I assessment work for the property.
In May 2008, Mayor Michael Gerlach reported that a structural failure in one corner of the building had deemed the school unsafe for occupation.1 3 4 The village initially expressed interest in using Ohio’s Brownfield Redevelopment funding to study the environmental condition of the soil on the site, but the funds were temporarily unavailable.2 Funds were expedited from several departments to cover the cost of demolition, which was estimated at between $6,500 and $8,000.
Demolition was delayed for several weeks due to weather and above-ground fuel tanks, as well as a water well.1 2
On June 30, 2008, the Park Street School was demolished.1
2. Reed, Brian J. “School demolition delayed until late this week.” Daily Sentinel (Pomeroy) 16 June 2008. 21 Nov. 2008: A1, A5.
3. Reed, Brian J. “Park Street school could come down this week.” Daily Sentinel (Pomeroy) 9 June 2008. 21 Nov. 2008: A1.
4. Reed, Brian J. “Cost of school demolition could be shared.” Daily Sentinel (Pomeroy) 29 May 2008. 21 Nov. 2008: A1, A3.
5. Reed, Brian J. “Funding sought for school demolition.” Daily Sentinel (Pomeroy) 18 Dec. 2007. 21 Nov. 2008: A1.
6. Reed, Brian J. “Park Street reclamation will require ultimate sale of site.” Daily Sentinel (Pomeroy) 14 Jan. 2007. 21 Nov. 2008: A1.