Campton High School, located in Campton, Kentucky, was opened in 1942. It was the first publicly funded high school in Wolfe County, constructed during the Great Depression with funding from the Federal Works Project Administration (WPA).
Construction began on the school in 1937, employing 143 men during the worst economic turmoil in the history of the United States.1 The WPA’s goal was to provide as many jobs as possible in an attempt to restart the economy, so jobs were rotated bi-weekly at the site so that all of the men had the opportunity to work.
Sandstone was mined locally and cut into slabs at local quarries, and was hauled onto site via mule-driven sleds to the building site. The stone was then cut into 14-inch blocks. The looming three-story school on a hill overlooking Campton was opened in 1942.1
Campton High School became the Wolfe County High School when the adjoining school systems were consolidated in the 1950s. A new Wolfe County High School opened down the street in 1968 and the existing facility became known as the Wolfe County Elementary and Middle School. Grades one through eight attended the school until 1991, when a new middle school opened. From that time until 2005, the school was known as the Campton Elementary School.
- Name: Campton High School
- Location: Campton, Kentucky
- Years of Significance: 1942
- Status: Being Redeveloped
- Tour Southeast Kentucky signage.