Covington and Lexington Railroad

[column size=”col-7″]The Covington and Lexington Railroad (C&L) was incorporated in 1851 in Covington, Kentucky to connect to Lexington. The railroad was not financially successful and was reorganized as the Kentucky Central Railroad, reaching Lexington in 1859.1 In 1880, the railroad was purchased by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad and Charloton Alexander, who owned most of the Bourbon County stock for the C&L. Alexander served as local director of the line.

The C&L entered Cincinnati, Ohio in 1888 over a new Chesapeake & Ohio (C&O) Bridge across the Ohio River.1 The railroad was acquired by the Louisville & Nashville (L&N) two years later. In 1919, the line became known as the L&N Kentucky Division and then the Cincinnati Division in 1931.1 It was transferred to the Seaboard System Railroad in 1982, then CSX in 1986. It is today known as the CSX Cincinnati-Corbin Subdivision.

Paris, Kentucky Passenger Depot

The Lexington and Covington Railroad train depot in Paris, Kentucky was constructed in 1853 after several years of “agitation.”2 It was financed by $250,000 in private county subscriptions, but the line only extended south to Lexington. The station was not as much frequented until the railroad line was completed north to Covington in 1854 at a cost of $5 million.

The station was rescued from demolition in the mid-1970s and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.2 It was later rehabilitated with funds from the county, state and the Department of the Interior, and opened in 1985 as a Senior Citizens Center, later becoming a restaurant.

[/column]

[column size=”col-5″ last_column=”true”]

Gallery

[album id=24 template=compact]

[callout size=”col-5″ title=”Support” description=”Abandoned is an accessible resource that serves thousands of visitors every month. It’s a lean operation but donations are always needed to maintain the servers, bandwidth and development of this site. Your small contribution helps make this free resource possible. This year, please consider making a donation of or whatever you can to support Abandoned.” button_title=”Donate” button_link=”http://www.abandonedonline.net/why-donate/” button_size=”small” button_rounded=”false” button_color=”#ff0000″]

Accordion Title

[accordion_item title=”Sources”]

  1. Tipton, Rick. “The PRR in Cincinnati.” The Pennsylvania Railroad in Cincinnati. By Rick Tipton and Chuck Blardone. Altoona: Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society, 2004. 3-103.
  2. Langsan, Walter E., and William Gus Johnson. Historic Architecture of Bourbon County, Kentucky. N.p.: Historic Paris-Bourbon County, Inc., 1985. 274.

[/accordion_item][/vc_accordion_tab][/vc_accordion]

[/column]