The former Chesapeake and Ohio Dawkins Sub connected Marshallville to cities of the north.
Kempton is located in the extreme western end of the state, and was home to a deep mine from 1915 to 1950.
Wilson is located in Garrett County along the North Branch Potomac River along the West Virginia Central and Pittsburg Railway. First known as Wilson’s Mills, the town was known for its lumber mill.
Jewell Valley was a coal mining community in Buchanan County in the southwestern portion of the commonwealth. The town, whose existence was based on the coal mining industry, resided within the Buchanan Field.
Bayard is located in Tucker County along the North Branch Potomac River at Elk Run, and was served by the West Virginia Central and Pittsburg Railway. Bayard was incorporated in 1893 and named in honor of Thomas F. Bayard, Jr., who later became a United States Senator from Delaware. Located within Bayard was the Emmons Coal Mining Company, the Middlesex Company tannery and the Buffalo Lumber Company.
Caretta is a company town located in McDowell County, and was developed by the Virginia Pocahontas Coal Company. The town was named for the transposed syllables of Mrs. Etta Carter, the wife of George Lafayette Carter, who founded the community. Caretta was later owned by the Carter Coal Company, although the residential and commerical properties were later divested. The last operator of the mines and processing plant at Caretta was the Consolidation Coal Company.
Coalton, West Virginia is located in Randolph County and was a company town that was operated by the West Virginia Coal and Coke Company along Roaring Creek. The town, however, was founded much earlier in 1895 as Womelsdorf, an Irish immigrant community.
Coalwood is located in McDowell County and was a company owned town founded by George Lafayette Carter in 1905. The Carter Coal Company helped develop the town into one of the more prosperous mining communities in the 20th century until the last of the mines closed in 1986. At that time, the town was still company owned by the successor of Carter, LTV Steel, and was one of the longest surviving company towns in the United States.
A reclaimed mine site.
Coketon was located in Tucker County, half way between Thomas and Douglas, and was the central mining facility of the Davis Coal & Coke Company along the North Fork Blackwater River.
Douglas was located near Coketon in Tucker County, and was founded in 1891 by the Gormon brothers, Douglas Sr. and William H., who were senior partners in the Cumberland Coal & Coke Company, a subsidiary of Davis Coal & Coke. While Douglas never incorporated, its population peaked at 600 by 1920. The lumber mill, built in 1893, closed in 1912 and the coal mines, beginning in 1891 and once numbering 12, had closed by 1954.
The towns of Fayette and South Fayette were established along the tracks of the Chesapeake & Ohio when it was completed in January 1873 in the New River gorge, Fayette County, West Virginia.
Gary, West Virginia is a coal mining community in McDowell County named after U.S. Steel Chairman Judge Elbert Gary, and was the hub of operations for U.S. Steel’s Gary operations, which included numerous underground coal mines, coke ovens and preparation plants. Elbert, Filbert, Ream, Thorpe and Wilcoe were considered satellite coal camps around Gary, and for decades, the town held the distinction of having one of the largest preparation plants in the world.
Glen Rogers, West Virginia, located in Wyoming County, is a coal camp that contained a large general store, hotel, fueling station and two schools. It was one of the largest lines on the Virginian Railway system, and one of the deadliest in the state.
Henry was located in Tucker County along the North Branch Potomac River at Elk Run, and was a company town for the Henry Brothers Coal and Coke Company.
Lawton is a former coal camp in Fayette County and was home to the New River and Pocahontas Consolidated Coal Company’s No. 3 mine. Constructed in 1878, the town has just a few scant homes remaining.
Norton, West Virginia is located in Randolph County and was a company town that was operated by the West Virginia Coal and Coke Company along Roaring Creek.
Nuttallburg is located along the New River in Fayette County and was a coal mining venture that was spawned out of England-born entrepreneur John Nuttall.
Pierce is a former coal camp town in Tucker County located along Sand Run, and was served by a branch of the West Virginia Central and Pittsburg Railway. It was operated by the Davis Coal and Coke Company.
The former coal camp town of Prince saw its boom days well into the 1940s, reaching only a population of 50. It was founded in 1870 by Mr. William “Bub” Prince, who had become a very successful businessman in Beckley. Upon hearing the news of the Chesapeake and Ohio’s construction along the New River, he ventured down into the gorge to stake a claim along the river for a small transportation hub.
Thurmond is a fascinating town along the New River in Fayette County. With just a population of five, Thurmond served as an important stop for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad before the advent of the diesel locomotive era.