The AK Steel Ashland, Kentucky works is a 700-acre integrated steel mill that contains a blast furnace, basic oxygen furnace and related production facilities. It featured a coke plant, hot strip and a second blast furnace.
Cement silos and remains of industrial structures once adorned the Alpha Portland Cement Company in Ironton, Ohio.
The Ault & Wiborg Company on East 7th Street in Cincinnati, Ohio was constructed in 1930 for the Queen City Printing Company. The business was a manufacturer of printing inks and dry color dyes and pigments that innovated the industry with coal-tar dyes.
The Barboursville Clay Manufacturing Company was located in Barboursville, West Virginia and operated from 1904 to 1979.
The Krypton Loadout is a small surface coal mining operation one mile west of Krypton, Kentucky. It is located along the CSX Eastern Kentucky Subdivision, formerly part of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad.
The Buckeye Ordnance Works was in operation for only three brief years during World War II, and was later used in the production of agricultural products, bio-fuel, and various chemicals in South Point, Ohio.
The Buffalo Springs Distillery was located in Stamping Ground, Kentucky and was first used as a distillery in 1866. A larger Buffalo Springs Distillery complex was constructed in 1934 and closed in 1968. The facility was demolished in 2007.
The Carlyle Labold Tile and Brick Company in Coal Grove, Ohio manufactured tile and brick.
The Cavanaugh Company was an hardware wholesale supply company that supplied cast iron pipe, corrugated pipe, road machinery, metallic paints, terra cotta, windows and fireproof doors, among many other items in Youngstown, Ohio.
The City Mills Building is located in Mansfield, Ohio and served as a warehouse for the Sandusky and Mansfield Railroad and then as a mill for City Mills and Gilbert, Waugh and Company. It is now being restored.
Clyffside Brewing Company is a defunct brewery in Cincinnati, Ohio. The brewery, which began in 1933 when Paul Esselborn, who was educated at the Royal Bavarian School of Brewing in Germany, organized the company in the former Mohawk Brewery structures on West McMicken Avenue. The company’s signature selections included Felsenbrau beer and Old Hickory Ale that was “aged in the hills.”
Closed in 1993, Consolidated Grain consisted of 40 silos that dominated the skyline in the west side of Cincinnati, Ohio for decades.
The Crosley Radio Corporation, which was at one time the largest manufacturer of table-top radios in the United States, was based from Cincinnati, Ohio. Headed by Powel Crosley, Jr., he pioneered the ideal of affordable radios, appliances and other housewares.
The Crowell Publishing Company was the world’s largest magazine publishing house and the manufacturing plant was located in Springfield, Ohio. By the early 1900s, Crowell was home to The American Magazine, The Woman’s Home Companion, Collier’s, The National Weekly, Farm and Fireside and The Mentor, among others. It had a monthly circulation of over 10 million copies with an average of ten carloads of magazines produced per working day.
The Fisk University steam plant was located in Nashville, Tennessee.
Once a huge glass producing plant of over 1,000 employees, foreign competition and outdated equipment forced the Fostoria Glass Company’s closure in 1986 in Moundsville, West Virginia.
The Frank Sherman Company was a former scrap metal dealer in Youngstown, Ohio that incorporated in 1947 and closed in 2001 after it was discovered that fraudulent transactions were occurring between the company and a supplier.
Between the 1830s and the early 1900s, the Hanging Rock region of southern Ohio produced a significant amount of iron in the United States. There were numerous furnaces in the region, generally east of Portsmouth, south of Jackson and north of Ironton, and employed several hundred at each site.
The Harding-Jones Paper Company was located on South Main Street in Excello, Ohio and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Harding-Jones Paper Company Historic District in 1975. A significant, early example of Ohio industry, the mill was mostly owned by the Harding and Jones families for most of its operation. The mill was adjacent to the first lock completed on the Miami-Erie Canal. The district also includes two residences, a carriage house and a canal lock.
Founded in Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, Ohio in 1885, the Hudepohl Brewing Company relocated to its Queensgate location that was formerly home to Herman Leckman Brewing Company. Hudepohl vacated its Queensgate facility in 1987, and merged with the Schoenling Brewing Company, and relocated its manufacturing line to a location along Central Parkway. Vacant for more than 20 years, the ailing Queensgate location has drawn the ire of the city for its extensive deterioration, although active plans have the site being re-purposed into a mixed-use development.
The Indiana Army Ammunition Plant (INAAP), located just southeast of Charlestown, Indiana, was spurred by the passage of the first National Defense Appropriations Act.10 Four days later, the Munitions Program was passed, in which the U.S. Ordinance Department sponsored private manufacturing corporations to design and produce ammunitions factories, producing smokeless gunpowder and other ordinances.
Once operating as a textile for nearly as long as the river town of Maysville, Kentucky has existed, the January and Wood Company closed its doors in 2003. Demolition began soon after, but was ordered stopped due to improper demolition techniques. It has since been fully demolished.
The Jeannette Glass Company was founded in Jeannette, Pennsylvania in 1887 and has been closed since 1983. The property has steadily deteriorated since then, and is heavily contaminated.
The Joseph & Feiss Company was located in Cleveland, Ohio and was the oldest manufacturer of tailored apparel for men in the United States. Their primary plant, partially demolished, is slated for redevelopment into market-rate apartments.
The John Kauffman Brewing Company is a defunct brewing operation at 1622 Vine Street, Cincinnati, Ohio. It was known for its “Gilt Edge,” “Columbia,” and “Old Lager” beers. It closed in 1919 when Prohibition was enacted, and Kauffman never reopened.
The Kentucky Fire Brick Company had a large plant at Haldeman, Kentucky, which produced brick utilized by the Illinois Steel Company of Chicago, Illinois.
Most of the structures have been restored, although there are a few that lay in disrepair or are abandoned. A railroad spur once stretched from the now-abandoned Morehead and North Fork line but has been abandoned since the 1970′s.
Lempco was an industrial facility located in New Lexington, Ohio that manufactured die sets, guiding components and springs for the automotive industry. Based out of Cleveland, the company was founded in 1917 by James F. Strnad, who began a small machine shop to work on government projects during World War I. The New Lexington facility closed on December 31, 2003 after a prolonged decline in business.
The Lonaconing Silk Mill, also referred to as the Klotz Throwing Company, is the last intact silk mill in the United States. It is located in Lonaconing, Maryland within the National Lonaconing Historic District, and the site was nominated by the George’s Creek Watershed Association for the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s list of America’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Places.
The Louisville Gas and Electric (LG&E) Paddy’s Run Power Plant is a defunct power generating facility in southwestern Louisville, Kentucky, located at the confluence of Paddy’s Run stream and the Ohio River. Planning for the coal-fired power plant in the Rubbertown district of the city began in the 1930s, when the majority of the 140 antiquated steam power plants that dotted the city only decades prior were being phased out.
Marble Hill Nuclear Power Plant is an abandoned power generating facility in Marble Hill, Indiana. It was abandoned in 1984 after $2.7 billion was expended.
A multitude of structures litter this valley in the now-dead town of Superior, Ohio. Once a prosperious area boasting a hotel and a movie theatere, most of the town was abandoned in the 1960′s.
Collected in several lots at Lisbon and Evins Street in Cleveland, Ohio were several notable industries, including the Cleveland Rubber Company that later became Mechanical Rubber and the Sawyer Belting Company. Both were merged into the United States Rubber Company that became known as Uniroyal. Another lot was home to the Glidden Varnish Company that grew expoentially to become one of the largest paint producers in the United States. It was also the site of the Gerson-Stewart Corporation, which produced cleaning compounds and sanitation chemicals, and adjacent to that was Strong, Cobb and Company that had become the largest custom formulator of pharmaceuticals in the nation. The propery was also home to the Ohio Confection Company and the Pennsylvania Refining Company, the latter of which was merged into Pennzoil, and other sundries. Most of the site has since been demolished or is abandoned.
The Moser Leather Company was founded in 1878 in New Albany, Indiana, and produced high grade leather for harnesses and collar manufacturers, before expanding into a wholesale leather business. At the height of operations, Moser was one of five tanneries in New Albany, attracted to the area in part due to the abundance of native chestnut trees. The trees have a natural tannin in the tree bark, and nuts that were used in the tanning process. The natural materials used resulted in a vegetative tanning process. Moser closed in 2002.
The New Boston Coke Corporation was once part of the Portsmouth Steel complex in New Boston, Ohio that employed nearly 5,000 during its height in the mid-20th century. Due to foreign competition and outdated technology, the integrated mill was closed in 1980 while the coke plant remained, becoming an independent operation before closing in 2002 due to massive pollution emission violations.
The Ohio Edison power plant along the Mad River in Springfield, Ohio was located along the National Road on the western outskirts of the city, and was demolished in 2010.
A major coal-fired power plant in Toronto, Ohio that has been demolished.
Old Crow Distillery, located south of Frankfort, Kentucky has its history traced back to the early 1800′s. Once famous for producing Old Grand Dad, Bourbon DeLuxe, Sunny Brook among many others, it has been closed since 1987 as a result of a buy-out from competitor Jim Bean.
Old Taylor Distillery is a defunct distillery located along Glenn’s Creek south of Frankfort, Kentucky. Constructed by E.H. Taylor, Jr. in 1887, Old Taylor was known for a fine, quality product that was the first to produce one million cases of straight bourbon whiskey.
Located within a very rich clay deposit, fire brick was produced for decades in Olive Hill, Kentucky that was shipped worldwide.
The Packard Automotive Plant is a former automobile manufacturing facility in Detroit, Michigan, known for its infamous slogan, “Ask the Man Who Owns One,” and its luxurious automobiles. Constructed in 1903, the factory employed 40,000 at its peak before closing in 1958. Portions of the complex remained in operation for other businesses until 2010.
Located within the heavily polluted West Virginia Ordnance Works facility, this small manufacturer of resins had its own wealth of environmental problems.
Parker Tobacco Company was tobacco redrying and threshing plant that became a large tobacco leaf purchasing, processing, marketing and commercial storage operation in Maysville, Kentucky.
Peter’s Cartridge Company is a former smokeless ordnance and shot shell ammunition factory in Kings Mill, Ohio. Located along the Little Miami River, the 71-acre Peters Cardridge factory began production of ordnance in 1887, ending in 1944.
The Pilgrim Glass Company was located in Ceredo, West Virginia and was founded in 1949 by Alfred Knobler after he acquired the Tri-State Glass Manufacturing Company. Early production pieces of Pilgrim included hand-blown crackle glass, although the company became known for their cranberry glass, which was a temperamental combination of gold and lead oxide, that led Pilgrim to become the largest producer of cranberry in the world. After not finding a buyer for the business, Knobler closed Pilgrim Glass in 2002.
Located in the tiny community of Blackfork, Ohio, Plibricore Refractories was a former brick factory that begun its operations in the early-1900s.
The Portsmouth Brewing and Ice Company is a defunct brewery in Portsmouth, Ohio.
The Republic Rubber Company was located in Youngstown, Ohio and manufactured tires and hoses for the automotive and aerospace industries. At its peak, Republic employed 2,300 with a payroll of $4 million. The facility closed in 1989.
Reymann Brewery, located in Wheeling, West Virginia, was once an integral part of the city’s rich German heritage that date to the 19th century. Wheeling, known as an early prominently German community in the northern panhandle of the Mountain State, boasted its unofficial nickname, the Beer Belly, with pride as it was a city filled with over 130 taverns and saloons. The largest of the breweries in the state was Reymann.
This very large industrial building in Winchester, Kentucky was once home to Rockwell International, which made truck axles. When it left 15 years ago, the building became abandoned and was only revived in the past two years by a recycling company and a truck driving school. Other parts are currently used for storage.
Schmidt Brothers Brewery is a defunct brewery in Cincinnati, Ohio, located at 135 and 138 East McMicken Avenue in Over-the-Rhine. It was founded by Friedrich and Heinrich Schmidt and brewed what they referred to as the “common ale” of the city.
Schmulbach Brewery, located in Wheeling, West Virginia, was once an integral part of the city’s rich German heritage that date to the 19th century. Wheeling, known as an early prominently German community in the northern panhandle of the Mountain State, boasted its unofficial nickname, the Beer Belly, with pride as it was a city filled with over 130 taverns and saloons. Ales were produced in great quantities, such as Schmulbach.
The Selby Shoe Company opened a four-story factory along South Third Street in Ironton, Ohio in 1926. The facility was purchased in 1943 by the Wilson Athletic Goods Mfg. Co.
Shenango China was once one of America’s great restaurantware and dinnerware manufacturers. Located in New Castle, Pennsylvania, Shenango produced Incaware, “Castleton China” and “American Haviland,” along with other brands and styles.
The Springfield Metallic Casket Company was located in Springfield, Ohio. Established in 1884, the factory was the largest producer of metallic caskets in the United States.
Once the largest cotton consumer in the United States, this aged factory in Lockland, Ohio underwent new management and promptly began downsizing and eventually closed this location’s doors for good in 2003.
Texola, Kentucky was home to a Texas Company Oil Refinery from 1920 until 1945.
Dating back to 1844, the TW Samuels Distillery in Deatsville, Kentucky produced the signature “T.W. Samuels” bottle and a four-year-old 90-proof label. The factory ceased productions during prohibition, but resumed afterwards, closing for good in 1952.
The Van Dorn Iron Works was located at 2685-2700 East 79th Street in the Kinsman neighborhood of Cleveland, Ohio. The manufacturing plant relocated in 1991.
The Victor Brewing Company was located in Jeannette, Pennsylvania and operated from 1908 to 1955.
Wean United was located at 219 South Phelps Street in Youngstown, Ohio. It was a manufacturer of equipment that was used to process and finish flat rolled steel, steel and iron rolls, iron castings, coupling boxes, annealing bottoms and boxes and steam hydraulic forging presses. It was equipped to produce castings and rolls weighing up to 100 tons.