Constructed from 1946 to 1948, the Ashland Tuberculosis Hospital serviced northeastern Kentucky with state-of-the-art inpatient facilities that combated the threat of that deadly disease. It operated for approximately 15 years before the threat of the disease diminished due to modern medicine and treatments. A pair of crosses adorned the entrance to the hospital, the symbol for the Kentucky Tuberculosis Association and later the American Lung Association.
Brownsville General Hospital is an abandoned medical center in Brownsville, Pennsylvania, located at Fifth Avenue and Church Street. It was completed in 1916 and used as a hospital until 1965. The building was used as an assisted living center afterwards, but has since been abandoned.
Established in 1938 in rural eastern West Virginia as Denmar Sanitarium for the tuberculotic colored people, it became the Denmar State Hospital in 1957 by an act of the Legislature for the chronically ill. Situtated at 2,200 feet above sea level, Denmar overlooks the Greenbrier River.
Eastern State Hospital is the second-oldest psychiatric facility in the United States, and the first west of the Appalachian Mountains, and is located in Lexington, Kentucky. It is proposed that the campus be relocated to the Coldstream Research center along Newtown Pike.
Hayswood Hospital is located on the side of a hill overlooking the historic river town of Maysville, Kentucky. Desipte attempts to renovate it into apartments, the building has languished for decades and is in poor structural condition.
Hazelwood Sanatorium in Louisville, Kentucky formerly admitted tuberculosis patients. It operates today as a mentally handicapped institution.
Once notoriously noted for its extreme overcrowding and unsanitary conditions, the Huntington State Hospital is now a 110-bed mental facility and is an on-site training facility for area colleges and universities in West Virginia.
Formerly standing as a derelict on the west side of Georgetown, Kentucky for decades, the John Graves Ford Memorial Hospital contained a glimpse into the past on the inside. Documents, gurneys, betaline dispensers and more lay strewn about inside. The dark and damp corridors, lined with patient beds and equipment, were demolished in 2007.
The Man Appalachian Regional Hospital (ARH) in Man, West Virginia was constructed by the Miners Memorial Hospital Association, a not-for-profit that constructed hospitals and clinics and provided health services for the coal mining regions of eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia. In 2000, the ARH announced the closure of the Man facility due to a lack of adequate funding, and the hospital was shuttered in 2001.
Construction began in 1927 to help with the Chicago area overcrowding of mental institutions, at the time of its opening was one of the largest in the nation.
Mayview State Hospital was a Pennsylvania mental institution located in Allegheny County, and closed in December 2008.
The Medical Center at Scottsville is a former hospital in Scottsville, Kentucky. It opened on July 5, 1952 as the Allen County War Memorial Hospital and featured 31 beds, 9 of which were private, 11 semi private rooms and 12 bassinets. A new facility was opened in 1996.
Metro General Hospital, formerly serving many of the underprivileged in Nashville, Tennessee, merged with George W. Hubbard Hospital due to a major glut of patient rooms in the region. Today, the former hospital site is undergoing revitalization. While much of the campus was demolished, three primary and historic buildings were spared the wrecking ball and are being gutted for repurposing. The Rolling Hill Mill development, so named for the corn mills that were once located in the area, will convert the former hospital site into a mixed use community on the banks of the Cumberland River. With the land being very close to downtown Nashville, it is hoped that this once landmark institution can continue to serve the city well into the 21st century.
Monsour Medical Center was located in Jeannette, Pennsylvania and opened in 1952 as a roadside clinic along U.S. Rouet 30, the Lincoln Highway. The facility flirted with bankruptcies four times in its tenure before finally closing in March 2006.
What was a relatively small hospital in the capital city of Charleston, West Virginia at Corner of Virginia and Morris Street, was closed in 1999 and demolished in 2005, leaving no traces of its past.
Constructed from 1946 to 1948, the Paris Tuberculosis Hospital serviced the Paris, Kentucky region for about 15 years before the threat of the disease finally diminished. Similar buildings were constructed across the state in smaller cities such as Ashland and Owensboro.
The Portland Marine Hospital is undergoing interior renovations in the Portland neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky. The last of its kind of the nation, it once addressed the health needs of seaman on the Western inland waterways and was a prototype for others across the country. After many decades of disuse, its exterior was renovated to its 1900-era appearance. Work still continues on this grand three-story structure with the hope that it can become a museum and a place of ‘medicine and health education’.
River Valley Hospital, formerly known as the Lawrence County General Hospital, was located in Ironton, Ohio and was constructed in 1937. The facility was demolished in 2008 after several years of disuse.
Silvercrest Sanatorium was a hospital in New Albany, Indiana for those riddled with tuberculosis, a deadly disease that infiltrated Southern and Mid-Atlantic in an area called the “black belt.” Tuberculosis was mostly treatable with antibiotics by the 1970s, resulting in mass closures of the sanatoriums. Silvercrest was reused as a disabled children’s development center before closing in 2006. It is slated to be restored as an elderly care facility.
The Southeastern Kentucky Baptist Hospital, formerly known as the Corbin Municipal Hospital, was located in Corbin, Kentucky. The facility closed in 1984 and was demolished in 2008.
The Springfield City Hospital was located in Springfield, Ohio along High Street and was in operation from 1931 to 2011. The Art Deco-inspired tower has since been demolished.
The Veterans Memorial Hospital in Pomeroy, Ohio opened on September 20, 1962 and was dedicated to the memory of Meigs County veterans. The hospital closed in 2001 and is currently used for storage.
Waverly Hills was constructed in 1926 as a tuberculosis hospital in Louisville, Kentucky, however, modern advances in medicine deemed the center obsolete by 1961. It reopened two years later as the Woodhaven Geriatrics Center, an elderly home, but was closed in 1981.
It seems as if Weston State Hospital in Weston, West Virginia is seeing some daylight at the end of its dark and rather stormy past. From a Civil War that held up construction to fires and extreme overcrowding, the once ‘remote’ asylum for the insane in now stands essentially frozen in suspended animation. Recent renovations have stabilized the roof and improvements are being considered to restore the large hospital into a ‘National Museum of the Civil War’, among other uses.