Texas Company Oil Refinery
Pryse, Kentucky was located along the Louisville & Nashville Railroad about five miles southeast of Irvine, and was named for pioneer David Pryse who had immigrated from Wales to Lee County.(1)(2) Pryse had later moved to Estill County where he purchased several hundred acres of land along the Kentucky River.
Pryse also became known as Texola when the Texas Company Oil Refinery constructed a refinery in 1920 that operated until 1945.(1)(2) A post office was established under Pryse on June 3, 1924 and later closed. The community had a peak population of 865.(2)