Stamping Ground Distillery
Stamping Grounds, Kentucky
In 1934, a new Buffalo Springs Distillery complex was constructed.(1) Later owners were the Stagg Company in 1941 and the Schenley Distillery in 1951, with the facility closing in 1968 after the last barrel of bourbon was rolled out of the warehouse.
The six-acre distillery complex was auctioned in 1998.(1) A Louisville businessman was at one point interested in converting the complex into a micro-brewery, or a so-called “boutique brewery,” old distilleries converted into new working facilities. Will Linder and Associates of Berea prepared an application on a contingency basis to request the distillery be placed on the National Register of Historic Places, which opened up the possibility of grants and loans. Instead, the Buffalo Springs Distillery was demolished in 2007.
- Brewer, Byron. “Distillery auction set for March 16.” Georgetown News-Graphic Feb. 1998. 10 Dec. 2007.