Louisville Gas and Electric Paddys Run Power Plant
In 1939, the LG&E board of directors ordered two 25,000 KW steam-powered electrical generators for the new plant.(1) Just two weeks after the order was placed, however, the federal government banned all utilities from expanding with new construction, anticipating that a major war was imminent. Paddy’s Run was one of the few contracts that was allowed to proceed, and construction of the facility was completed in 1942.
The additional capacity allowed LG&E to be designated a national defense utility, and spurred further industrial development at Rubbertown.(1) A large chemical industry developed in the vicinity of the power plant, manufacturing neoprene, butadiene and other synthetic chemicals that was used in the war effort.
Paddy’s Run was supplemented by the Cane Run Station three miles downtstream along the Ohio River, which was completed in 1952.(1)
By the 1970s, the Paddy’s Run power station had become antiquated, and was used primarily to meet summer peak requirements.(2) In April 1973, in an effort to curb pollutants in what was billed as a pilot project and among the first of its type in the United States, LG&E installed a carbide lime flue gas desulfurization (FGD) on boiler number 6, which was being operated infrequently because of its low thermal efficiency. Another FGD was installed later on another boiler, and a third unit featured a dual-alkali process.(3) The FGD system utilized carbide lime, a waste by-product from a nearby acetylene industrial plant. Based on the process of the FGD demonstration, the scrubbing system was installed at other LG&E power plants.
The LG&E Paddy’s Run Power Plant was closed in 1982.(4)
Abandoned is an accessible resource that serves thousands of visitors every month. It's a lean operation but donations are always needed to maintain the servers, bandwidth and development of this site. Your small contribution helps make this free resource possible. This year, please consider making a donation of or whatever you can to support Abandoned.
- “Light and Power.” The Encyclopedia of Louisville. Ed. John E. Kleber. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 2001. 515. Print.
- G.A., Isaacs. Survey of flue gas desulfurization systems, Paddy’s Run Station, Louisville Gas and Electric. Final report. Cincinnati: PEDCO-Environmental Specialists, 1975. N. pag. Print.
- Hower, James C., et al. “Influence of flue-gas desulfurization systems on coal combustion by-product quality at kentucky power stations burning high-sulfur coal.” Waste Management 17.8 (1997): 523-533. Print.
- System close out tag.