Man Community Hospital
Man, West Virginia
Reportedly, the Man hospital grounds contained a major Indian village that was existant from 1450 to 1550 A.D., which was unearthed during construction.(1)
By the early 1960s, the MMHA was facing financial difficulties and announced that it was closing some hospitals.(2) Shortly after, the Board of National Missions formed a new not-for-profit medical services system, Appalachian Regional Hospitals (ARH), that purchased the Miners Memorial Hospitals. In 1986, the name of the system was changed to Appalachian Regional Healthcare to better define its expanding role.
In 2000, the ARH announced the closure of the Man ARH due to a lack of adequate funding, and the facility was shuttered in 2001.(3)
On February 9, 2009, plans were announced to demolish the Man ARH despite plans from Logan County to use the additions of the hospital for a Level 5 trauma center.(5) The plans called for the older hospital sections to be demolished, with a new wing that would be constructed for the facility. The trauma center would be part of the Community Health Foundation of Man, which adjoined the disused hospital.
Community leaders made attempts to have the hospital reopened, and began seeking funding to purchase the property from ARH.(6) In a sign of desperation, Logan Bank and Trust delayed foreclosure proceedings on the property until the county could take ownership of the land. But the hospital became a focal point for vandals, as well as a health hazard for the community. A fire was set on May 1, 2009 that was quickly put out, and it was suspected that vandals had started the fire to burn old files left in the hospital.(4) In January 2011, out of liability concern, the Logan County Commission began the process of removing debris from the former hospital.(6) Items, such as lighting fixtures and furniture, were removed in the cleanup.
Abandoned is an accessible resource that serves thousands of visitors every month. It's a lean operation but donations are always needed to maintain the servers, bandwidth and development of this site. Your small contribution helps make this free resource possible. This year, please consider making a donation of or whatever you can to support Abandoned.
- Photographs of Man ARH at Flickr by dunmiffsys
- “Man, West Virginia.” WVExp. 6 Jan. 2005. 25 Oct. 2005 Entry.
- “About ARH.” Appalachian Regional Healthcare. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 Mar. 2011. Article.
- “Man Appalachian Regional Hospital.” Blood Asylum. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 Mar. 2011. Article.
- “Blaze in old Man hospital building extinguished.” Logan Banner 2 May 2009: n. pag. Web. 3 Mar. 2011. Article.
- Charles, J.D. “Man Hospital to be demolished.” Logan Banner 11 Feb. 2009: n. pag. Web. 3 Mar. 2011. Article.
- Charles, J.D. “County hauling debris from Man hospital.” Logan Banner 29 Jan. 2011: n. pag. Web. 3 Mar. 2011. Article.