Constructed in 1850 as the First German Reformed Church in Cincinnati, Ohio, the limestone-fronted church consisted of a steeple and a bay of four, large stained-glass windows on each of the southern and northern walls. Due to population shifts and the decline of the West End neighborhood, the church closed in 1975.
The Holy Rosary Catholic Church, located in Clarksburg, West Virginia, was established in 1906 to meet the needs of the Slovaks, Poles, Crotians and Slovenians. It was merged with two other parishes due to a dwindling population and shifting demographic base.
Located in the Northwest Goldberg neighborhood of Detroit, Michigan, King Solomon Baptist Church‘s facility at Marquette and 14th Street was best known as the first African American church to be located on a major thoroughfare.
The Miami Chapel United Brethren Church is located on Miami Chapel Road approximately one mile southwest of downtown Dayton, Ohio. It was located in what was known as Section 4. The earliest iteration of the church dates to 1846, and the current facility dates to 1912. It has since closed.
The Mt. Sterling Baptist Church was one of the first churches organized, if not completed, by the Baptists in 1796 in the eastern Bluegrass headlands – Mt. Sterling, Kentucky. It was later rebuilt a few years later, and reconstructed again in 1830. A new brick facility was completed in 1871, which was replaced in 1914 with the current facility. In 2000, the Baptist Church relocated to a suburban lot on the outskirts of town, and the church was abandoned until 2005, when it was partially renovated. In August 2007, the Baptist Worship Center completed purchase of the former church and began hosting services.
Bordered by Calhoun and Vine streets in the Clifton Heights neighborhood of Cincinnati, Old Saint George was a once vibrant church adjacent to the University of Cincinnati campus. Built as a Roman Catholic church by the St. George Parish in 1873 for just $80,000, it seated 1,200 and was designed by one of Cincinnati’s most famous architects, Samuel Hannaford, who designed Music Hall and the City Hall. The church closed in 1993 and was spared from demolition in 2005 by the Clifton Heights Community Urban Redevevelopment Corporation.
The Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help was organized on May 12, 1878 in Cincinnati, Ohio by the Franciscan Fathers, a German parish from St. Vincent de Paul. The current Gothic Revival church was built in 1888 and closed one-hundred-years later due to a declining neighborhood and a dwindling congregation.
St. Andrew Catholic Church was located in the Avondale neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio and was in operation from 1875 until its merger in 2010.
St. George’s Roman Catholic Church is located at the corner of the Dixie Highway and Standard Avenue in Marydale, Kentucky, a working-class neighborhood that began to develop post-Civil War and was comprised of modest frame and brick residences. The church was constructed in 1910 and was enlarged several times over its lifespan, although civil unrest in the 1960s and 1970s led to the closure of the church in 1995.
St. John Protestant Church, located in Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, Ohio, hosted Cincinnati’s oldest German congregation.
St. Joseph Byzantine Catholic Church was located at 9411 Orleans Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, and was constructed to serve the local Carpatho-Rusyn residents. The Rusyns are an eastern Slavic ethnic group that borders modern day Hungary, Slovakia, Ukraine and part of Poland.
St. Mark Catholic Church was located in Cincinnati, Ohio in the Evanston neighborhood. The parish was dedicated to the Missionaries of the Precious Blood, and during its first fifty years, there were 24 priestly vocations which included one bishop, two religious brothers and 36 religious sisters. St. Mark was closed to worshipers in July 2010.
Located in Sedamsville in Cincinnati, Ohio’s west side, St. Martin’s German Evangelical Church was constructed in 1892 along River Road. It was later abandoned and before the neighborhood that the church resided in could be nominated for the National Register of Historic Places, the church was demolished.
A long forgotten church in Sweet Springs, West Virginia.
The Winegardener Chapel in Rushville, Ohio was erected in 1887.